Hardware advice

Having a problem with.. Your computer? Gaming? Networking? Code? etc. Post here and someone may help you!

Hardware advice

Postby Trabant on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

My friends and myself are in the process of planning what will be starting off as fairly small scale lan parties which we hope to expand on in the future. I consider myself very lucky and have been able to track down a used managed switch at a very reasonable price. The product is quite old however and I'm not sure if it's going to be able to perform. I'm wondering if someone with more experience then myself would mind taking a glance at the D-Link DEs-3225G (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DES-3225G) and let me know if this would be worth an investment of less then $100. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Ps. Yes I am a total noob to this site and may have posted this in the totally wrong category. If so I'm sorry and won't be making the same mistake in the future.
Trabant
Newbling

Re: Hardware advice

Postby gnat on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 pm

For a smaller LAN party, I personally think that switch would be just fine; and it's a decent price if you're getting it for under $100. If anyone else with more experience with D-Link switches wants to chime in, go for it.
Never get discouraged, just let your nerdy flourish -YT
gnat
The LAN Party EH Goto Guy

Postby fratchwaggon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Hay,

its a 10 year old switch, from to looks of the protocols it runs and the packet forward rates and the switch fabric capacity ect ect. Its an ok starter switch but no room to really expand. Personally at the size of 24 people i would say get a dumb unmanages 24 port or smart switch with 2 gig ups. Later on when you get more than one use a managed 8/12 port all gig core. for now traffic control can be done at the router. Is there anything you want the switch to do? We have 10 24port Asus smart switches and a bad ass 48 gig web managed core (wish it was a CLI Full managed) and that works like a greased pig.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory. ... e=Switches
craigs list
your in Ontario right? (.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) There are lots of plcaes to discounted martial.

If you are cash short then its a good switch for a starter. if you have the money a newer option will be better in future. Now cables can get costly. PM siberX as he knows a great site to but that from, he told me but i forgot. DONT MAKE THEM YOURSELF, thats a bad idea. get cheap molded premade cables and its some times cheaper that way, i know it was for us.
fratchwaggon
On Probation

Postby Chris361 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 am

We own 4 16 port unmanged D-Link 10/100 switches, and 1 24 port. Work great, and don't overheat.

Not to say their unmanaged switches are the same quality.

Where are you from in Ontario? I have some stuff I can lend you if you are still interested in running an event.
Chris361
Hardcore Lanner

Postby BloodyIron on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 am

Do not use D-Link. Their quality is sub-par and I will never recommend them to anyone for any purpose. Netgear offers much better affordable hardware.

I can't stress this enough, D-Link equipment sucks. As in, it doesn't work when it should. I've seen this repeatedly.
BloodyIron
h4x0r

Return to Tech Support